In the words of Stefon, these biscuits have everything.
The flavors of an everything bagel, King Arthur’s Self-Rising Flour, and a little bit of cheese all come together in these biscuits of epic breakfast proportion.
Put an egg on it, along with some bacon and more cheese, and you’re the star of Sunday brunch. Or dinner. Or afternoon snack. These biscuits have no rules.
The star of the show in these biscuits is the Everything Bagel Blend from The Bagel Shake Co. A combination of salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, and garlic all toasted together, this blend combined with cheddar cheese is like a savory, breakfast-y party in your mouth.
After whisking together our flour, sugar, Everything Bagel Blend, and cheddar cheese, we work the cold, cubed butter in with our fingers until it’s nice and crumbly. Those pellets of butter help make our biscuits flaky and tender.
Cold buttermilk is poured into the flour mixture, and the dough is folded until just barely moistened. Careful to not overmix here!
The moistened dough is turned out onto a lightly floured surface and folded over itself. We are literally creating the layers of our biscuits!
After a few more folds, we are ready to cut. A circular biscuit cutter pushed straight down will do it. Remember to flour your cutter in between cuts to avoid squishing the dough and crushing your layers.
The biscuits are cozied next to each other on a parchment-lined baking sheet to encourage their neighbors to rise high and mighty. Brushed with melted butter and topped with more Everything Bagel Blend, our speckled biscuits are ready for the oven.
Fifteen minutes later, and bam! Flaky, tender, and wonderful, these biscuits are ready to be devoured.
Now let’s turn these bad boys into breakfast sandwiches. Split in half and topped with bacon, egg, and cheese, this biscuit heads back into the oven briefly to get a nice sizzle-y, melty thing going on.
Squish your halves together for an ooey, gooey breakfast of champions. If runny yolks are your kinda thing, here is your time to shine.
Happy breakfasting, my friends.
Everything Bagel & Cheese Biscuits
slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour
For the biscuits:
2 cups King Arthur Self-Rising Flour
1 Tablespoon Everything Bagel Blend
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2-2/3 cup cold buttermilk
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Additional Everything Bagel Blend, for topping (optional)
For the assembly:
Eggs, cooked to your preference (I fried mine over easy for a nice runny yolk)
Cheese, cut in slices (I used white cheddar)
Bacon, or other breakfast meat of your choice, cooked
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together the Self-Rising Flour, Everything Bagel Blend, sugar, and shredded cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the bowl and work it quickly into the flour mixture. The mixture should be crumbly, with some pea-sized butter crumbs remaining. I prefer to use my hands for this, but you can also use a pastry cutter.
- Make a well in your butter-flour mixture, and add 1/2 cup of the cold buttermilk. Fold gently until everything is moistened, adding the remaining buttermilk if necessary. Be careful not to overmix here.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Carefully fold it over itself 3-4 times (we’re creating flaky layers here!).
- Gently shape the dough to a 3/4″-inch thick rectangle. Remember – you aren’t as concerned with the shape of the dough as much as an even height.
- Cut the dough with a 2″ to 2 1/2″ biscuit cutter, making sure to dip the cutter in flour between each cut to avoid squishing the layers together. Gently combine the scraps and continue cutting to use up the remaining dough.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops lightly with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining Everything Bagel Blend, if desired.
- Bake the biscuits 10-14 minutes, until lightly golden.
- To make the sandwich, split a biscuit and place on a baking sheet, insides up. On the top half, place the slice of cheese and top with bacon, or other choice of breakfast meat. On the bottom half, place your cooked eggs.
- Place the baking sheet bake in your preheated oven for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melty and the bacon starts to sizzle.
- Remove immediately, combine halves, and enjoy!